One year ago, I had a dilemma. Me and my friends couldn’t find a co-op game that each one of us could play. All the good games were paid, and also very CPU and GPU intensive, which some of us couldn’t afford to run. So, I started making marching through terrain I never explored before: Game Development. I found XNA, which is a beautiful framework to work upon, and with that, I started making a game. At the time it had no name, it was just a rough concept, but a simple one at that: a multiplayer shooter that wouldn’t be very resource-heavy, and would allow me and my friends to play together through a course of maps, killing bad guys and such.
The concept proved hard, because I had no experience in making games, but I delved into it anyway. Me and my friend Nundril (that’s his nickname) conceived a simpler concept though: a 2D shooter, where people would play against each other, instead of AI.
But why Killplex? Maybe because I was playing Ratchet & Clank at the time, and the Battleplex name latched on. But I couldn’t use it because it was already taken… And that’s the origin of it.
I worked on the server and client simultaneously at the time, not caring about maps or lighting or collisions. That was my first mistake. Even though players could connect and kill each other, they had no HUD, no maps, no effects, the bullets had little range before they were erased (so they wouldn’t travel infinitely), and the code was pretty much a mess. I got demotivated and didn’t grab it again. Until this year.
I restarted the project on September 4th, started making the code all over again. But this time, I would first focus on things I had no knowledge of, like doing and reading maps from a PNG file, doing collisions with player/walls, lighting, etc. And after a few tries and some rollbacks, I made a small engine. That engine would be powered by Lidgren and Krypton, and would also have a map editor. Which I will show you now.
What you’re seeing in the video is the first version of the Killplex Mapper. It’s a tile editor that’s also an entity manager. Supports maps up to 300×300 tiles (it’s a temporary limitation), and the tilesets have up to 256 tiles, 32×32 size each.
The maps are WYSIWYG, so all the lighting and shadowing is dynamic, and the maps appear like that on the game. Speaking of it…
Killplex is a 2D top-down multiplayer shooter. It will support up to 16 players (at least for now), and in its first version it will have three modes: Deathmatch (16 player mayhem), Team Deathmatch (8vs8) and Squad Deathmatch (4 teams, 4 players each). I know, it’s a little too much deathmatch, but I intend on finishing it first before adding more modes. I have them planned, but I won’t reveal them now.
As for release plans, I intend to release it when it’s done(TM). It’ll be for Windows only (since it’s on XNA), it’ll be free, and I will update it with new content and gameplay changes regularly.
I will show images of the game soon. I have some stuff made, like server connection, map loading, spawning and switching teams, but there’s still a lot of work to be made. Meanwhile, you can ask me questions in the comments below, and I shall answer them.
Oh, and today is September 21st. For roughly 12 days of work (I’m not working on it everyday, I do have a life, you know), that’s not too bad.